1. Blick Premier Belgian Linen Canvas
This superior quality surface for oil painting is considered excellent for the artists who are after a luxurious painting experience. It is the ultimate choice for those who are after best archival longevity. Blick Premier Belgian Linen Canvas offers both superior quality and affordability.
This canvas for oil painting is 100% pure with 4.5% oz medium texture. This handcrafted canvas has been prepared, picked, and pumiced in Belgium. It is then hand coated in the United States, a special technique used by the Old Masters. The hand coating involves three applications of an oil-based, lead-free primer. This is meant to make it reach a 10oz primed weight.
Thereafter, the linen is then back- stapled to kiln-dried stretcher bars. These high-density pine bars are grown in North America. They have an impressive 1-3/8” profile. The frames have tenon corners for added strength. For minor tension adjustments over time, eight keys are included. Then there are the corners of the blanket folds that are meant to assure ease of re-stretching. https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-premier-belgian-linen-canvas/
- They are versatile.
- They are 100% pure Belgian linen.
- They are handcrafted.
- They are of medium texture.
- They are triple coated.
- They are 10oz prime weight.
- They are of superior quality. They are affordable.
- They allow the paints to flow well.
- The texture is fine and well-aligned.
- They can shift and adjust over time because of temperature and humidity.
- They have too many pinholes.
- They are expensive.
- Inadequate for landscape work.
2. Blick Super Value Canvas Packs
These easy on budget canvases for oil painting come in popular sizes. They are made from pure cotton duck canvas 4oz. They are then stretched on a kiln-dried wood frame with 5/8″ profile. Blick Super Value Canvas Packs are primed with three coats of acid-free acrylic gesso. They are ready for painting with acrylic or oil straight from the shelves.
These canvases for oil painting have a prime weight of 8oz. They should be stored vertically when not in use in a climate control room to enhance stability. Changes in temperature and humidity many times cause these canvases to stretch or shift over time because they are made mainly from natural materials.
Blick Super Value Canvas Packs are great for all levels of skills. They can also be used with other mediums and the quality is something to write home about. They are also great for experimenting and its affordability is something that has many customers hooked. https://www.dickblick.com/products/blick-super-value-canvas-packs/
- The pricing is good.
- The quality is good enough.
- They come in popular sizes.
- They are versatile.
- They are made from pure cotton duck canvas.
- They are primed with three coats.
- They are acid-free.
- They are ready to paint straight from the shop.
- They are perfect for all levels of skills.
- They accommodate other mediums.
- If not stored properly, its stability can change.
- They can stretch and shift over time.
- They are not long-lasting.
- Clients complain about unfinished corners.
3. Masterpiece Tahoe Cotton Canvas
This one strikes a nice balance between medium and heavyweight canvas. It is easier on brushes and it works well with aggressive painting techniques impasto included. Tahoe Cotton Canvas is 100% cotton canvas and heavy at 10 oz. It is triple primed with archival quality acrylic gesso. This gives it a finished weight of 14.6 oz.
Masterpiece Tahoe Cotton Canvas surface is smoother and more supple than other heavyweight canvas. It is both acid-free and PH balanced. The impenetrable primed surface helps prevent the oil from leaching through.
This Cotton Canvas features a 3D profile that helps prevent lines and indentation. It is stretched using the Masterpiece exclusive MuseumWrap method for balanced tension. This makes it 50% tighter than other methods used in other canvases. The corners are uncut and neatly folded to allow re-stretching when necessary.
The edges are clean, paintable, staple-free, and are perfect for a frameless display. These professional-grade canvases for oil painting are manufactured in the United states. https://www.dickblick.com/products/masterpiece-tahoe-cotton-canvas/
- The weight is balanced between medium and heavy.
- They are triple primed.
- They are easy on brushes. They work well with aggressive paints.
- The surface is smoother and more supple.
- They are acid-free and PH balanced.
- The surface is impenetrable thus no leaching.
- They have no lines and indentations.
- They are 50% tighter than other canvases.
- They can be re-stretched.
- The edges are clean, paintable, and staple free.
- They are professional grades.
- They are a bit pricey.
- Not ideal for experimenting and beginners.